Everyone loves a big juicy burger. And, you’d be hard pressed to find a better topping than a delicious piece of cheese. Most people have their preference of cheese, American, cheddar, blue, etc. Me, I like them all and sometimes I’ll combine a few just to make it interesting. Here’s a list of six cheeses that will make the most of your burgers.
- Cheddar By far, the most popular behind American cheese. It holds up well to strong flavors like bacon and barbecue sauces and melts beautifully.
- Blue There are a wide variety of blue cheeses: gorgonzola, stilton, Shropshire blue and the like. While some are more pungent than others, these are all typically salty and, quite frankly, stinky but delicious. These work well with a sweet/savory component.
- Monterey Jack One of the best melting cheeses and thanks to its mild flavor, can handle a variety of different flavor combos.
- Goat This tangy, crumbly cheese is a lighter burger type cheese.
- Smoked Gouda This cheese pairs perfectly with smoky barbecue sauce and adds a decadent touch to burgers. Also works well with spicy touches like horseradish.
- Brie This cheese handles a variety of tasks. From topping burgers to topping turkey sandwiches this should be a go-to. it works especially well with sliced apples and carmalized onions.